PLEASE RESPECT MY COPYWRITE AND DO NOT COPY OR PIN PHOTOGRAPHS OR TEXT FROM THIS BLOG. THANK YOU.
Click here for more graphics and gifs!

Save Our Hedgehogs

For more information please go to http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/pages/hedgehog-street.html

Tuesday 3 April 2012

:o) Hedgehog update :o)

Hello folks!

Sorry I've been a little quiet of late, lots going on in my life so not a lot of time to blog.
First and foremost I'd like to welcome a whole host of new followers :o)  I'm so pleased to see you here and appreciate each and every one of you.

During my absence my dear husband has celebrated a birthday and we have celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary :o) 
I have tried to keep up with your fascinating posts, though I haven't left many comments.

x x x x x x x

 Most of you will know that I have hedgehogs living and visiting my garden.  I bet you all remember Wilfred Prickles?


He's been out and about for about a month now, but he's been very camera shy!  These are the first photos I got a few weeks ago.


Hedgehogs are very thirsty creatures! 


And have an incredible appetite too ;o)
His 'hat' is barely visible now, but please be assured it is Wilfred.
Then this evening I went to see if he was out and about.....


I'm seeing double!  Wilfred in front of frame and behind...I think it's Winifrid!  Not spotted since release. They seemed to be having a stand off with Wilfred 'shoving' Winifrid. 

Close up of Winfrid, see how dusty she is?  This makes me think she's been snuggled up longer.


She's semi-rolled up as I was obviously disturbing her.


Loves young dream?


Winifred has snuffled off seeking more food!

Wilfred has decided to have a look around too :o)


And finally, just before Wilfred disappears back into his hoggy house...


I wonder if I'll be getting some hedgehog babies this year?  (Fingers crossed!)

There is a sad part to today's post, last weekend a neighbour asked me if a hog was okay?  It was on the grass verge outside his house in *broad daylight - NEVER a good sign.  Sadly the poor soul had been hit by a vehicle and had died..it was a large apparently healthy male too :o(
I took the little soul over the bridge into Bungham Lane and laid him in the edge of a field. well hidden beneath the hedgerow to allow nature to take it's course.

(*Any time you find a hedgehog out if full daylight there IS a problem with it.  They are a nocturnal creature.  Carefully lift it up (wearing gloves) and place it in a deep box wrapped loosely in an old towel with a +hot water bottle near to it as it will probably be suffering with hypothermia.  Then place the box in an out building/garage.  Ring The British Hedgehog Preservation Society and ask for the nearest rescue centre details.
+A plastic pop bottle is ideal, wrapped in an old towel.)
It is a fallacy that all hedgehogs play host to fleas, some do, some don't.  I am very liable to be bitten by cat and dog fleas but have never been bitter by a hedgehog flea, and I do handle then quite often at the rescue centre.

Hope to be back within the next few days with an interesting find that's full of history.
In the meantime, best wishes to you all.





9 comments:

Marilyn said...

Fascinating news. I always enjoy the posts about your hedgies and your "finds"!♥♫

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Well Rose, I had begun to worry about you dear friend. Glad to know your busy with wonderful life events. Hope they were all grand.

Bless u taking care of those hedgehogs.

Rubye Jack said...

It's good to have a lot going on in your life. Blogs can wait.

Patrice said...

I like the hedge hog. That's something we don't see here. Have a good week.

Andi's English Attic said...

Good to see Wilf is not alone. xx

Vintage Jane said...

South Staffs hedgehogs are so lucky to have you! Thanks for the rescue advice. M x

Unknown said...

Rose,

Here's hoping you have new hoggie babies soon!

Have a great week!

ann said...

Hello. I am one of your new followers. I am fascinated by your hedge hogs. We don't have them here in Colorado in the wild. They are sold in pet stores, though. I will enjoy learning more about them.

Kim said...

I absolutely adore your hedgepig posts! So sad about the demise of the adult hog but I shall keep my fingers crossed about the potential babies!! Hope you've had a wonderful Easter xx